Isabelle Boudart?

This would be the first request to come from Deviantart. It’s common practice to make request to do art for others on the site. About a month ago, I received a message from a guy in France requesting to draw a picture of his wife. Browsing through the man’s page, I couldn’t help but notice that he had pictures a woman named Isabelle with various body types on his Deviantart page. Thinking that maybe this was some kind of character he invented, I obliged. It was a simple question that I gave a simple answer to and the following day I get several pictures of what I now know for sure is his wife, Isabelle.


I’ve been trying to redefine the illustration style and took this as an opportunity to uses Isabelle as a study for such. Lately I have been feeling a bit remorseful for exclusively using subject matter that would require the use of a black strip. I’ve become uncomfortable with producing explicit content, upon contemplation, I figured, what the hell, I’m working on a children’s book anyway…



Close-up pencil detail
If you haven't already scrolled down to view the final piece, I will confess that I have no clue to where the theme came from. It's just one of those things that clicked in at the spur of the moment.

close-up vine detail
Finished inked foreground


This luchador is new to the art of documentation and somewhere along the line, the first and second stages of applying the wash where skipped which brings us to the third stage. As of now, all applications of gouache paint has been set and the tricky union of colored pencil and watercolour is used give the painting more definition.





Which brings us to this. Okay, I have complained once about owning a crappy flatbed scanner in which color scans appear to be washed out and faded. It takes a little more effort to correct them and they are generally a pain in the ass. But hey, you get what you pay for with a 4-in-one printer that is on sale at for $50 - Yeah should of bought the HP. Oh well the finished product.
Isabelle Boudart, mixed media, 11X14, Kevin Richardson, 2012